I’m proud to release the first public beta of my ImageKit plugin for Kirby today. Although the plugin may seem simple at first glance, this has been a long ride. It started about 2 years ago, when I was using WordPress for my private blog. Unhappy with the built-in thumbnail API, I decided to go for something better. After the work on my WordPress plugin was almost done, I switched to Kirby and decided to start from scratch. The plugin grew very quickly and became some kind of monster, including everything from a widget to an extensive image component with support for lazyloading.
After the large amount of API changes, that came with Kirby 2.3.0, I had to adapt a lot of my plugin’s code to keep it working. So I took only the best parts of it and decided to go for a more modular approach this time. Today, I released the first component – the asynchronous thumbs API – on GitHub. I also decided to make ImageKit a commercial plugin, so I will hopefully be able to provide better support for it.
I’m excited to hear your feedback and hope you enjoy ImageKit!